By: Lisa Saccoia
Finally! You found that perfect dress! It hugs and flares everywhere it’s supposed to. Score! Yet, after a few washes, its lost its luster and you can’t even recognize your once beloved garment. Where it was fitted, it’s now boxy. Where it was a bold hue of blue, it’s now a hint of gray.
Fret not, these easy tricks will keep your garments from turning boxy, shrunken, and lack-luster.
- Use Mesh Laundry Bags: Mesh bags are perfect for washing silks, under garments, and anything delicate. Use the delicate cycle on cold water. Hang them on a drying rack to dry. Never put nice, delicate clothes in the tumble drier, it’ll lose shape over time. Extra hint: No matter what the size of your mesh bag, never stuff it full. Let items breathe and have room. InsideSmarts is just one brand.
- Take time for details: Take a few extra minutes to button your blouses, and zip and secure your bottoms. This will ensure that items don’t catch on each other, and unravel to their doom! If there are loose strings (hoodies or draw-string pants) tie them to make sure they don’t tangle on other items.
- Turn it inside out: Turning dark clothing inside out helps fading. The same rule applies to sweaters, as you can avoid pilling.
- Treat stains with love: Accidents happen! Immediately remove the garment and spot-wash with a stain remover. In the wash, use a powdered detergent as it has more traction for getting stains out. If the stain doesn’t come out in the first wash cycle, treat the stain again. Don’t let the garment dry until the stain is gone. With heat, the stain will set and become permanent. When in doubt, wear an apron! You’ll look cute, feminine, and keep your unique clothing looking special for decades.
- Detergents are not created equal: If you’re worried about chemicals in your beauty and cleaning products, you’re not alone. The eco-friendly market continues to grow each year. Method brand makes amazing soaps and detergents. When shopping, look for detergents with the “Cruelty-Free” and “Paraben Free” labels. If you don’t live near a store that carries these products, shop on Amazon.com and Vitacost.com. They have an amazing selection of eco-friendly cleaning products.
When you buy a garment, it’s an investment you make to look and feel great. These tips will help you keep your clothing looking new and beautiful on you for years to come. Happy washing!